Reflection on Self-directed Journey(Before Event)---
date: Apr 01, 2017
My project Finally started today. Looking back, it is painful and long, which also shows I have a long way to be a better leader.
In the past months, we had several meetings, which comes up with a diversity of ideas, which end up with 6 editions of the proposal(the 3rd and the 6th is online).
The experience is not that good since we are from a range of backgrounds, we usually cannot have a timeslot in common, which made the project running slowly.
During this time, we have two major problems:
- Fail to reach agreement too much as we have too much time conflict. This becomes a major conflict in my team, which wasted a lot of time. This leads to the bad time management in our coming event, which do have some negative effect to our progress.
- Ideas are too diverse. We originally set the topic as Shang Si Festival(Original of Girl’s Day in Japan), but we changed it multiple times. Things like this occurs too much, and what we can see is that it is too time-consuming for us.
In order to solve the problem, we simplifies the process and held meeting on Skype in order to get the best use of the event, while we stop doing things that waste time such as the time for the meeting.
However, during these meeting, I am also benefits from the process:
- Enjoy diversity. In my team, there are students from a diverse of background, which they might be not in the same grade, or even some of them are postgraduates, Masters and MScs. I get more chance to know people from different background, and I am able to accept people more with a totally different background.
- Learn from others through meetings. Through the process, we find out that we have different advantages that we can learned from, and we understand each other more when we do that.
- Importance of prototyping. The prototyping really helped us to change what our target group what to know. This really helps us from making the right decision on our project.